Numbers 6:24-26

"The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace." Numbers 6:24-26

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Friends and Fun Times...


“Therefore encourage one another and build one another up…”
1 Thessalonians 5:11


A little over a year ago when Chase and I made the final decision that we would be moving to Philadelphia, my biggest prayer to God was that the void in our lives from leaving our family and friends would be filled with new ones.  "Lord, please provide Godly friendships for each one of us."  I had literally forgotten how to MAKE friends!  I had not HAD to MAKE friends in so long.

Friends had been made in my life... through other friends, or school, or church, or work, but now we knew practically NO one.  When we arrived, school was not in session & we had not found our church home.  I can remember one day in August on the McDonald's playground, the girls came up to me whining about not having any friends to play with.  I don't really know why I "snapped."  I guess it was just one of my weak moments, but my response to them was, "I don't have any friends either!"  They looked at me for a second, looked at each other, and then looked back at me again.  In that moment I composed myself and said, "But I do have your daddy, Charlie and both of you...and that's all that matters!"  As I was watching them play, I realized my "composed" answer wasn't enough.  I explained later in the car ride home that we do all have each other, but most importantly we have God the Father.  He had been listening to my pleas for friendships (even before we left Mississippi), and in His PERFECT timing He has provided them!  These dear friendships have become our "Philly Family."

We found a wonderful church home that has provided many friendships.  And you wouldn't believe how many are from the South.  Our community/small group is made up of families from Alabama, Tennessee and Texas.  The Lord has a sense of humor doesn't he?  Several of Charlie's best buddies are in this group.  In fact, one is also named Charlie, so our Charlie has become, "Charlie-Maxey" to most.

It was REALLY hard leaving MRA, but we have settled into a GREAT christian school.  I think I mentioned in an earlier post that Mary Hayes' teacher is originally from Georgia...I think, well I know, I hugged her after the first time I met her...we bonded quickly!  A couple of MH & Lizzie's closest friends are sisters (same ages) that attend our same church AND school. (As I'm typing this, I'm realizing AGAIN how faithful the Lord is.)

Three of our closest adult couple friends have come from Westminster.  One couple is from Virginia, one is from Texas/Georgia, and the other is from North Carolina.  Chase & I have been extremely BLESSED to know them!  And get this, the couple (Phillip & Rebecca) from VA has plans to move to Jackson, MS after finishing school... has a job and all!  Once again, the Lord answered my prayer!!!  AND is even allowing the friendship to move back South with us in a few years!!!

Phil & Becca love cooking.  They even have a pasta maker.  When I sent these photos to my family, they thought I was turning into a cook.  I quickly let them know I still stunk in the kitchen, and the pasta maker belonged to some friends.  






The kids LOVED making their noodles and eating the home made pasta & meatballs!!! 

Speaking of friends, I had a few that encouraged me to run again.  Back at the end of 2008 I ran in the St. Jude half marathon in Memphis.  After finishing it, I had decided that was my first and LAST half marathon.... ugggg my body hurt!  

This was only a 5K, and I can say it was enjoyable...

Thanks for encouraging me Simpson, Jacklyn & Kelli!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment